Saturday, June 6, 2009

First trip to Labor and Delivery

So Savannah and I have been having tummy issues for about 5 days. She seems to be ok with drinking plenty of fluids and not throwing up, but Thursday and Friday I could not keep anything down at all. I called my Dr just to see if there is something I could take and because I was having severe cramping that was bringing me to tears, they told me I had to go to the hospital. Luckily I have super awesome friends and neighbors that called me back and I actually had options for Savannah. She stayed with my really amazing neighbor Ginger for 5 hours while Noah was stuck at work and I was stuck with an IV in my hand. Thank you Elise too!! Your so sweet for offering to help and checking up on me!

I have never had any issues with needles. I am not scared of them and they are always easy for nurses to find my veins and stick me with. Yesterday was a different story. I was told I had flat veins because I was so dehydrated and was probably going to break my nurses record of doing perfect IV sticks. She used a newborn baby needle and after a little digging, was able to get everything going. After 3 liters of fluid, peeing in a cup, and getting a catheter, I was finally allowed to go home. They still have no idea what caused me to not keep anything down, but I am now fully hydrated and the crazy pain is gone. I just really hope I do not continue to feel sick because the next thing would be a stool sample and I pray that is something I never have to do in my life!

So I have now broken my goal of only going to the hospital once during this pregnancy. With Savannah I went 4 times before I was finally going to give birth and this time I wanted it to be just once. Oh well, I guess you cant really predict everything.

2 comments:

Elise and Danny Neilsen said...

That is true, you can't control things like that!!! You poor thing! I felt awful that I wasn't able to help you much!!! And I hope I wasn't bugging by checking up on you! I was just worried about you cause you sounded pretty sad when I talked to you the first time!! I'm so glad the pain is gone! Let me know if you need anything. Also, if you call and it's between noon and one and I dont answer, just stop by cause I'm probably up stairs laying Reed down for his nap! :)

alex said...

Scary, but better to go in and get re-hydrated than go into early labor. I'm glad you're doing better. Make sure you stock up on gatorade.