Thursday, January 22, 2009

Exciting time for America... My soap box

I will start out by saying I did not vote for President Obama. I was a bigger fan of John McCain's views, attitude, among other things, however as I have watched the news, the Inaugural events and yes.. Oprah, I have become more excited for our country. I have always admired the progression and forward thinking attitude of our country as I have so thoroughly enjoyed studying its history. I am very proud to be alive during this historical time. It was wonderful to watch our first bi-racial president take the presidential oath (twice), and think about how much our nation has changed.

I have always been very proud to be a citizen of this country, especially growing up in a military family and having the opportunity to live overseas. Right before I met Noah, I actually was working on my applications and getting fit enough to be in the Air Force Reserves. I have great respect for this country and am excited for its future. I consider myself a liberal republican. I have strong beliefs on many issues, but one thing I am more fully understanding is that the statement "Change is coming," which I mocked heavily during the election, is true. It is not President Obama that will save us all and change everything on his own, its our country. Every citizen of this country lives right now in a time of trial, but also a time of hope.

Everything did not magically change on Tuesday, and it will not magically change tomorrow, but as a new leaf is turned, and a new chapter begins, we as a country are beginning to realize that it is our responsibility to help this "change" come. We live in a very historical time, and I hope we remember that. I hope we all know that this time of trial, which I do not blame on former President Bush at all, but on the poor leadership of many and the greed of us all, will pass because we all are looking to the future and looking to serve one another and our nation.

No comments: